Monday, December 26, 2011

Day Five cont.

Hi blog,

Sorry I've been so neglectful. To continue from where I left off...

So after a Dood Paard video we began to do some MORE awesome postdramatic creation. We split up and each created our own abstract solo piece drawing from our characters and everything else that we've been experiencing so far in Berlin. The results were juicy indeed.

We each used the basic structure of telling our characters journey as a story in simple enough terms that a child could understand it. Then each of us injected our own style of abstraction in to the work. These abstractions ranged from repetition of words and gesture to using lights to create shadow imagery on the walls and one little piggy even got a bit carried away and consumed a hotchocolate with her fingers, which was beautiful if I may say so myself.

After a very satisfying hard days work we all put some less sweaty clothes on and headed out to see the enchanting Runa Schaefer play Lena in the Ernst Busch performance of "Leonce and Lena". I think I can speak for everyone when I say that it tickled my pickle, blew my skirt up, and impressed the proverbial out of me. Granted I understood quite a bit more of the German text than the others but the piece was also very absurd and had a lot of colour and comedy in movement and voice. These guys have discipline, I'm telling you. The precision of their craft allowed them to do things with their voices and bodies that were more akin to what you might see on Bugs-bunny rather than in a theatre.

Here's a basic plot summary as I understood it: Leonce is a prince whose father wishes to marry him to the princess of another kingdom who he has never met (Lena). Leonce doesn't like this so he decides to run away into nature. Little does he know that Lena has also decided to run away to nature. They then meet by chance in nature and fall in love not knowing each others' true identities. Leonce decides he wants to marry this girl and takes her home to his kingdom. But he cannot allow his father to know that it is him marrying a "different girl than Lena" SOOOOO.......THEY DECIDE TO PRETEND TO BE ROBOTS!!!!!! His father is delighted to have robots marrying in his kingdom. He then removes their disguises and all is revealed to all and they have a dance party.....what an awesome plot line.

I hope all you bloggees had great festive times over the last few days- We certainly did.

xx Much love, Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment